Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tunnel Vision and Blind Spots: What the Past Tells Us About the Present; Reflections on the Twentieth Century History of American Librarianship
Wayne A. Wiegand

It seems that as America's libraries were being built, the process was more like putting out fires than strategically planning.  As stores of information grew, libraries (especially special libraries) cropped up to organize things.  Since early librarians were very academically-minded, I wonder what they would think of our current libraries full of fiction and DVDs.  I prefer the later mindset which stressed that libraries are for reading and readers.

When this article discusses "good reading", it addresses some of the concerns that have floated around in my head the last few weeks.  I've been struggling with how much responsibility a librarian should take for providing high-quality material versus providing what the patrons want.  For example, I am not a huge fan of, say, romance or crime novels.  Do I think they should be removed from libraries?  Of course not.  Would I rather see people check out what I consider to be more quality literature?  Sure, but it is not my place to impose my literary opinions on others.  I am not sure that "good reading" and "neutral service", as late-19th-century librarians sought to provide, can really coexist.  This dichotomy has helped me to clarify my thoughts on the issue.  I also like the idea of a "library faith" or mission and the meaning that has developed over time:  providing materials to all patrons without censorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment